Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Introducing server side softwares!

We will look at some cool softwares which we can use for a Apache, MySQL and PHP setup.

It is a real dread if you want to try to configure PHP, MySQL and Apache from scratch. The very first time when I try to install the 3 components separately on my MacBook, it took me an entire day. If you are considering to take up this challenge, do read the installations for each components carefully. Certain versions of one software can only work with certain versions of another software (especially the latest versions).

While working on my project, I realized that I have to reconfigure PHP so that it can support IMAP and IMAP-SSL. IMAP-SSL is required to access Gmail. I have already written the installation for mac in my first post.

I have tried to use XAMP (for all platforms), MAMP (Mac, Apache, MySQL and PHP) and even WAMP (Windows, Apache, MySQL and PHP) (On my Windows platform). However, the reconfiguring of the 3 softwares to support IMAP-SSL is difficult. Another key consideration is the difficulty in upgrading the individual components. Many websites which provides the solutions to installing the components, are seriously outdated. If you are looking for a client interface program to get some work done, you certainly can consider these 3 softwares.




One important software that you all should consider using is Netbeans. You can also use it to program with HTML, XML, Javascript, Java, C, C++, PHP and many others. I am currently using Netbeans to write my PHP programs.


If you are looking to design your MySQL, you should seriously consider MySQL WorkBench.
MySQL allows you to design the database using the Entity-Relationship Diagram (ERD). The most cool thing about the software is that it allows Reverse and Forward Engineering!!

This means that I can now design a database model, click on Forward Engineering and pesto! The database is built and ready to be used! The Reverse Engineering takes in your codes and put it into a ERD. One powerful component about MySQL WorkBench is that it allows you to connect directly to localhost and at the same time, provide a great graphical interface. This software also enhances server administration process and simplify the import and export of databases process.




Do drop in some comments if you have any other softwares to recommend! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment